Saturday 11 January 2014

Zulus Rising

Perhaps I expected too much but there was nothing 'epic' about Ian Knight's treatment of Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift in this book. I had re-read my now very worn copy of Morris' Washing of the Spears back in November and whilst dated, it still gets the blood pumping.

Where Zulu Rising did prove valuable is in new research at Isandlwana, for instance giving some of the distances the British forces opened fire at, Zulu tactics, their horns skirmished forward taking advantage of cover.  Zulu Rising was £2.98 on eBay, post free from Greener Books and certainly feel I had £2.98 value from it. The book itself arrived quickly in perfect condition, so I thoroughly recommend Greener as an eBay seller.

I'm disappointed because I've read and enjoyed many of Ian Knight's papers on aspects of the Zulu War but Zulu Rising leaves me questioning whether I'll buy another of his books. Though to be honest I'm not sure I really need to. I also question the value (at full price ) for a wargamer either.  By comparison Rorkes Drift by Adrian Greaves was gripping and spurred on the activity you see below.


Cut, cleaned, washed and now ready to glue together. Plastics? you can keep 'em. Seriously, I'd rather buy metals in future. They have their place in the hoby, but not in this house.

Cheers
Mark

4 comments:

  1. I remember a series of letters in a wargaming magazine in which a gamer of, I think, Apache descent, commented that at Rourkes Drift his ancestors would have caused more casualties for less losses than the Zulu. That led to the question as to the redcoats would have handled the Plains Wars. That one lit the blue touch paper. Given the events at Kabul, Maiwand, Islandwhana I'm not sure we'd have done much better. Anyway, totally off piste comment. Back to the day job
    Cheers
    Maff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - was it just a bit dry and academic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I wish it had been academic.

      Cheers
      Mark

      Delete
  3. Mmmmm. Several thousand Zulu, not stopped by rifle fire. Gets a bit academic then though.....

    Cheers

    Maff

    ReplyDelete