Tuesday 29 May 2012

I Predict A Riot

Begun the Riot Squad today, whilst I make up my mind about the urban DPM on the Elhiem BAOR. These guys were a gift from MajorMike and they've been staring at me accusingly for some time. Now I have the time and above all mental energy to do them justice, I'm ready to tackle them - perspex helmet & riot shields et al - with a Humber Pig to back them up.


A package arrived this morning from Mark at Pumpkin Models. I've been dealing with Mark for the past year and he has been a great bloke. He's now running an eBay shop selling RH Models (Liberation Miniatures).  I ordered some figs on Sunday, after telling Maff that I didn't need any more, ahem. Well. I'm a sucker for combat radiomen figures. They were posted yesterday, here at 10am today.  That's service. At last Rolf's miniatures are visible, accessible and available from someone I trust.

RH Models FALKRADFN

FALKRADFN, Ah those were the days.... trying to take down a message on a wet notepad, decoding/encoding with Slidex & Mapco whilst grappling with your rifle, with probably a tin of cold Chicken Supreme at the end of the day as reward... "And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you".

These FALKRADFN minis are luuverly. The helmets are brilliant - which can't unfortunately be said for the new 5 figure Falklands command set, FALKCOM H. Personally, for a five figure command pack, I'd have done a mix of berets, helmets, Sterlings and SLRs, especially given the eclectic release schedule. Three of the figures - all without backpacks - are very usable. May just get another pack to give them headswops to join the rebel forces.

I bought some extra stuff, but I'll reveal these later! Meanwhile, I've inserted a permanent link to Pumkin Models in the sidebar under 20mm Model & Figure Resources.

Anyway, these riot troops are almost ready now for the next stage....

Cheers
Mark

6 comments:

  1. Eureka. Mike had them made as a private commission.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the heads up about Liberation minis on ebay- very useful.

    What rules were you going to use for riot games by the way?

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete

      For once, not thinking that far ahead. At the moment I see them more as a game prop.

      I do like your own treatment of rioters by the way. I was going to copy how you've mounted them but haven't had a response from Irregular Miniatures yet!

      Ruleswise there's riot rules in Hell and Uncivil Disorder by Jim Webster, Use Me: Modern Warfare, Civil Disorder by Jim Wallman (downloadable from the sidebar on the right).

      Cheers
      Mark

      Delete
  3. My gaming group has been getting into the 2 Hour Wargame family of rule recently. Mainly NUTS! for WW2 and All things Zombie. In the Haven supplement for ATZ there are some pretty decent Riot rules I was going use. Once I've given them a go I'll do a write up on my blog so you can see how it goes.

    I've been looking for a copy of Hell and Uncivil Disorder for a while now- I'm a fan of Jim Websters work- but been unable to locate a copy. Where did you pick yours up from?

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picked it up years ago Pete. Following our prompting Jim is going to put Hell and Uncivil Disorder into pdf format.

      Be interested to follow your experience with the Two Hour Wargames riot rules. I won't be using them myself.

      I wrote my own riot rules 20 years ago now, but they're on an Amiga computer th 5 1/2 disks long gone.

      I should have added in my previous reponse that I was going to mount the riot troops on sabots, four to a base with overlocking shields but when I saw your trays of rioters I thought, that was more versatile.

      Cheers
      Mark

      Delete