Monday 6 August 2012

SITREP

The day job is the main focus at the moment. I'm pulling extra hours as my project nears launch, and by the time I get home, I simply haven't enough capacity left to blog.

Missed CLAYMORE on Saturday. We'd planned to make a weekend of it in Edinburgh, but I couldn't afford to be away from the project. Saturday night though I made a conscious effort to kick back and relax for the first time this week, and so we submerged ourselves in Olympic euphoria.

On the gaming front, Falklands 30th Anniversary passed by with a whimper in 20mm and Pendraken's promised 10mm range failed to materialise? All I can say is WTF?

Maff and I previously discussed buying these Pendraken figs for Falklands and larger scale Winter of '79 engagements. Well, Falklands is off the menu now, and even though the Pendraken 10mm Toms still aren't out yet, with Skytrex's current 20% discount, they may yet prove to be an effective way of wargaming the assault on the Welsh valleys.  Operational level forces for minimal outlay in cost or time. Plus DPM will be easier in 10mm too :-)

Cheers
Mark

7 comments:

  1. Mark

    Have you looked at the MJ FIgures 15mm Falklands range? I picked some of these up at Salute and they are very nice. Cheap enough to build up a reasonable force for larger battles as well.

    Chris
    Chris.chown@ntlworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris

    Thanks for the suggestion. I considered the MJ 15s for the anniversary battles but understandably kept my pennies for the 20mm Argies I was expecting to be available.

    For Winter of '79, 15mm offers me no advantage over my 20mm. However, the Pendraken 10mm whilst not my preferred scale, seem to exhibit a certain Winter of '79 character. Plus, with Skytrex 1/200 Scorpions, Scimitars, Saxons etc at £1.30 each (pre-discount); and 1/200 terrain being more forgiving, it's a no brainer if I choose to move in that direction.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,

    I think we have a mutual friend in Sholto and although I don’t think we’ve met our paths must have crossed at various East of Scotland shows. I’m very interested in your blog and wish it every success. I do like alternative history ideas. Just in case you or your readers have ever considered going up a scale then I’d like to draw your attention to Commando Miniatures at www.commandominiatures.com . The aim is to develop a range of British figures covering the period from the 1950s to the 80s and of course their enemies. The first figures are available now. Although primarily aimed at colonial conflicts, the figures are correctly equipped for the 197os and simple head swap puts them in summer uniforms and as ready for the streets of Britain as the jungles of Malaysia.

    Regards,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John

      Thanks. Visited your website and wish your venture every success as well. Who knows, may yet upscale, as I got hold of some Mongrel Miniatures, even just for small scale section level 1-2-1 skirmish games.

      I'll add you to the list of manufacturers tonight.

      Cheers
      Mark

      Delete
  4. Hi Mark
    Enjoying to unfolding story.
    I've been clearing out the loft & found several OS maps dating from 1975-81 which cover the Welsh borders & Brecon area. Would they be any use to you for your campaign? I would be happy to post them to you free of charge if you want them -
    Nick Marshall (in 1979, I was that 17 year old TRB fan in Ross-on-Wye :-))
    blue.jacket@virgin.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Glad you enjoy the blog. More 1979 madness to come! Will take you up on that offer.

      Cheers
      Mark

      Delete
  5. Hi Mark
    just drop me an e-mail with an address to send the maps to & I'll pop them in the post

    Regards
    Nick

    ReplyDelete